Life is Short

Life is Short

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Art Talk

Before Dr. Suess "Green Eggs and Ham" or my gray winter socks from Spain, or even "Maria" from the Sound of Music or my "Pink Panther" cuddly stuffed toy, DRAWING and PAINTING were my first love. At the age of 5, I remember drawing "Superman", not the stick drawing Superman, but the drawing with a body, a cape, an "S" on his chest and his muscles. I was so proud of it that I showed it to my daddy, perhaps he did not appreciate it so much or he was just too busy that he left it somewhere and how I wish I had just kept it then. It was my very first owned possession.


As a little girl in school, my personality  then was pretty different from what I am now. I was timid, shy and quiet. I barely talked or smiled at anyone. During Art Class was when I transformed from a shy Daisy to a proud Sunflower. And now that I have grown into a not so shy woman, and not so timid person, being an Art Lover is something that I never outgrew, something that never changed, something good that had remained in me, and  something that now transforms me into a quiet Daisy from being a proud Sunflower.


Here are some that I want to share. They were painted on Microsoft Windows Paint. You see, I had to ride along with the flow of Modern Technology. I like it because it is less hassle for me. I need not bring paintbrushes, pencils, papers, paints and canvas, and of course mess free!


These are some of my LOVE and what they had to say, (In random order) The Art Talk:

Title: Chasing Felicity
Chasing Felicity - I drew this in December 2009, when I was quite contented with how my career had somehow progressed, and due to that, i could not catch time with my boyfriend then. At the same time, someone in the office gave me a reason to be happy; but only by looking and listening to that person whenever we talked but not being able to express what I had wanted to really say.

Beach House Window
Beach House Window- I have always loved flowers, beaches, the sun, and their vibrant colors. Beaches remind me of my childhood. They remind me of a time when I was 4 or 5 years old; when we visited India in 1984 or 1985. It is still a vivid memory. In that same year, My dad and mom separated (for the first time) due to problems I did not understand. When going to Zambia, Africa, where my father used to work, we had to get on cutting flights since there were no direct flights from my country to Lusaka; Zambia's capital city. Probably my dad was very sad, so we stayed for a week or less in India. I remember staying in a hotel by the beach. In the morning, my daddy, little sister and I would go walking by the beach and I would see my dad's red eyes from crying perhaps, while smoking. It was a sad memory for me but I found calm in that place. I love flowers for it reminds me of my mother who used to love orchids when I was a little girl. Just like this drawing or painting, it is something that I can only see in my memory-just like watching the beach from the window-unclear but still beautiful from afar.

Athena
Athena -Named this art after a Greek goddess, who was known as the protectress of civilized life, the most used expression to describe her was "the bright eyed" and in poetry she is the incarnation of Wisdom, Reason and Purity. The owner of this face is a special person in my life that had somewhat influenced me when we were still working together. I had always looked up to her and adored her. This drawing was not as perfect since I drew it on how I visualized her in my mind. Drew it in July (her birth month) 2009.

Gloomy Afternoon at Bay Walk
Gloomy Afternoon at Bay Walk - This is one of my favorites. I remember drawing this in August of 2009, when I wanted to express the sadness and loneliness being far from the person I used to love, the family I used to have, and the dreams I wanted to achieve but were all out of reach. So, you see the three street lamps symbolize the three that I have mentioned. The buildings symbolize the past, the present and the future. The past-buildings with no lights. The present-buildings with lights. The future-buildings that could barely be seen from afar.

The Lavender Field
The Lavender Field- Another favorite of mine. I drew this early 2009, I just do not remember the month anymore. It was how I wanted to describe this woman who had been significant in my life; (the one I mentioned in my drawing, Athena) someone I considered my calm when I was out of control. By just the mention of her name or when I just thought of what she would say about me if I would lose control during those times, I automatically hold my horses as not to disappoint her. I looked at her as someone who had control over me but she did not know that. I used to think that she was sent to me from above to remind me that even if I did not grow old with a mother, I should still be a better person-difficult to explain but yes, she had somehow been a reason for me to become who I am now.

to be continued.

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.  ~Leonardo da Vinci




No comments:

Post a Comment